Sunday, October 29, 2023

Building a Culture of Generosity: God’s Changing Things for Good


Pastor Joy
 – I want to invite the children to come up if you’d like... and as you come up we are going to sing together “I Will Call Upon the Lord”

Today is such a special day—Reformation Sunday, Commitment Sunday AND Family Fun Day Sunday! We’re so glad you’re here! 

Ocho - Hi everybody! 

Pastor Joy – Oh wow, here’s Ocho! Ocho, I’m so glad you’ve joined us for this special day. This is a Sunday packed with beautiful images and ideas and stories.

Ocho – I saw all the red so I put on my red t-shirt. But why are we wearing red today Pastor Joy?

Pastor Joy – Red stands for God’s Holy Spirit! Today is a day focused on knowing God and especially how God’s Holy Spirit changes us or “re-forms” us as we move through life. The Holy Spirit helps us learn more deeply who we are as people of faith and children of God in light of God’s unbelievable grace.

Ocho - You mentioned stories - I love stories! Will you tell us one?

Pastor Joy - Well, one of the Reformers who shaped our Lutheran tradition over 500 years ago was Martin Luther. He was a pastor and a teacher. When he saw how certain leaders in the church were abusing and oppressing people, he was so upset that he posted all his ideas for improving the church and that set in motion the events that led to a whole new way of being church. He wanted all people to be able to read the Bible and worship in their own language so everyone would have the opportunity to know who God is!

Ocho - But Pastor Joy, you’re a pastor and so was Martin Luther.  I’m just an octopus and we are all only kids. Do you think we can understand who God is?

Pastor Joy - Yes, I think that people of all ages can understand things about God and when we get together, we can share our ideas and learn from each other. Martin Luther was obsessed with being a perfect Christian until he realized, reading the words that we heard today from Romans 3, that he didn’t need to be perfect because God’s love and grace extend to all of us… way before anyone is perfect. Of course, God extends grace to us and wants us to share that freely to other people too.

Ocho - You know what -  All this time I thought octopus were perfect - cuz I’m the only octopus I know! Ha ha!  But its true - most of us live alone and we like it that way.  I spend my days by myself under my rocks or looking around for food.  But did you know, we’re not perfect -  there are some Octopus that actually use weapons! 

Pastor Joy - Really??

Ocho - Yes! There’s a place in the ocean off the coast of Australia where octopus have had to live closer together and interact with each other more. Sometimes there’s some friction. 

Pastor Joy - Oh my! 

Ocho - I know! I guess they get really territorial. They’ve been observed boxing each other with their tentacles and even throwing rocks and shells at each other! I guess we are good at fending for ourselves but most of us aren’t very good at imagining how others feel, or sharing or helping each other. But you all seem like you get along well! I bet you humans never fight or be shellfish!  Get it shell fish?

Pastor Joy - Ha ha! I get it. But actually, Ocho I’m afraid we humans are often selfish. Raise your hand if you sometimes fight.
Well… we’re not the only ones who sometimes fight. This week, there has been lots of scary news about people fighting and using weapons in many countries and even in our own country. Kids, have you heard any of the scary news?

Ocho - Oh kids, oh Pastor Joy, that’s so sad. How do we learn to be better at getting along? Is there a way to end violence? Do you think we can ever reform the world into how God wants it to be?

Pastor Joy - In Psalm 46, God is bringing an end to all weapons. God actually says to everyone who is fighting to stop it. Our translation says, “Be still and know that I am God.”

Today, in Winnipeg, Canada, my niece and goddaughter Siri is celebrating her Confirmation and this is her verse. Psalm 46:10

So, I’m going to invite you all to quiet your bodies for a moment and practice this prayer meditation with me. (elbow, toes, stroke beard if needed)

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know that
Be still and know
Be still
Be

Pastor Joy - Wow! Good job practicing that verse.

Also, I think that Pastor and Teacher Martin Luther would have said that it is not our job to reform the world–luckily–because that’s way too big a job for any one person. It’s God’s job to change the world for good. God’s Holy Spirit that is moving and changing the world… but we can help! We can be part of God’s reforming work. Can you think of any ideas of how to help God and get along with other people?

Kids ideas…

 

Ocho - Oh, I love your ideas kids!

Pastor Joy - Me too. We have a very generous God and God has taught us to call on God when we’re afraid. God gives us enough to share so we don’t have to fight for resources. God keeps teaching us that we’re free from sin and death, fear and scarcity so that we can love more and more generously… and we can definitely be a part of that. God's Building a Culture of Generosity--God's Changing Things for Good!

By the way, God sees you as beautiful, Ocho!

Ocho - Really? Me?

Pastor Joy - Yes! And we do too! And every one of you kids, in God’s eyes, you are beautiful! So, as you are going back to your seats, you can pass that message on to someone on your way– In God’s eyes, you are beautiful!

In God’s eyes, you are beautiful… pass it on!

No comments: